Fast Track Work Permit for Non EU R&D (Hosting Agreement) Scheme

Find out more about the key immigration arrangements for foreign academics and researchers carrying out research in Ireland, with a particular focus on the Fast Track Work Permit  for Non-EU R&D (Hosting Agreement) Scheme.


Non EU/EEA nationals require permission to work and study in Ireland. Additionally, some non EU/EEA nationals require an entry visa (permission to travel and enter the state of Ireland) to enter the country.

However, non-eu researchers applying for research positions in accredited research organisations can use a fast-track work permit scheme. This allows the host research organisation to employ the researcher without the need for a work permit.

Additionally, this scheme allows the researcher’s immediate family to reside in Ireland for the duration of the agreement and work  without any permission to work. 

A preclearance policy has been introduced for the non-EEA de facto partners of Hosting Agreement holders. All de facto partners of Hosting Agreemen holders  will be required to seek permission to reside in Ireland prior to their arrival in the State. The new procedure will reduce processing times and provide clarity for these family members.

All universities, Institutes of technology (IoT) and a number of research-active organisations are accredited for the Fast Track Work Permit for Non EU R&D Personnel scheme. You can find the full list of accredited research organisations here.

EURAXESS Ireland processes Hosting Agreements on behalf of the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation (DBEI). Over 4,500 researchers across all disciplines have used the scheme since its introduction in 2007.

For more detailed information on visas and immigration arrangements for researchers on Fast Track Work Permits for R&D, please visit INIS (Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service)

For queries contact:

Head of EURAXESS Ireland

Dr Magda Wislocka

Tel: 00-353-1-7996030



For quick and easy to read information on Hosting Agreement scheme read our Fast Track Work Permit Scheme Guide (599.09 KB)

Or find out more about immigration alternatives for non EU/EEA visiting researchers or academics below:


I wish to Research in a University, Institute of Technology, or Other institution in Ireland

I am currently employing or plan to employ a researcher from a non EU/EEA country