Skip to main content

For Employers - Universities, other HEI institutions or Enterprises in Ireland

For Employers - Universities, other HEI institutions or Enterprises in Ireland

How it works

Research organisations in both the public and private sectors must apply to the Department of Further and Higher Education Research and Innovation for Hosting Agreement-   Fast Track Work Permit for R&D  accreditation. Once approved, the organisation is then able to offer 'Hosting Agreements' to third country researchers to carry out defined research.

For more information about this process, and/or  to apply for the accreditation please contact:

All accredited organisations should contact EURAXESS Ireland for their access to the Hosting Agreement  processing system. The office is the Government-appointed central processing house for Hosting Agreements and plays a key role in the official accreditation and immigration process. Hosting agreements are managed by

Head of EURAXESS Ireland

Dr Magdalena Wislocka

Tel: 00-353-1-7996030


EURAXESS Ireland, Irish Universities Association, 48 Merrion Square, Dublin 2

In addition to providing assistance about the scheme via a helpdesk, the office ensures that paperwork is accurately completed and that all relevant information is sent to the Irish Immigration Service

EURAXESS Ireland manages a central online database with details of Hosting Agreement holders and their dependants, which can be accessed by Irish immigration authorities and Embassies worldwide. This fast-tracks the visa application process for researchers and their families. Organisations are granted permission to access the database following accreditation and, once accredited, organisations must contact Magda Wislocka for access details. If you are unable to contact Magda, please contact Marguerita Lardner

There is currently no fee for accreditation of organisations or administration of Fast Track WP for R&D in Ireland.


  • Those who are hosting foreign visitors to Ireland for research or academic purposes (paid or unpaid) for less than 14 days do not need to organise any work permissions. However, they should check whether or not their visitor requires a visa.
  • If a foreign visitor is participating in private, funded or unfunded research, a sabbatical or an academic visit at an Irish institution for a period up to 90 days (or more under certain conditions), and if they do not qualify for a work permit and Hosting Agreement, they may be eligible for the Atypical Working Scheme.


For any additional information please visit the Irish Immigration Service  and/or the DFHERIS webiste


The key provisions and benefits of the Hosting Agreement Scheme are as follows:

  • Linked to the contract of employment offered by the relevant employer
  • Allows for immediate family reunification, i.e. a researcher can bring his/her family to Ireland from the start of his/her employment
  • Spouses and de facto partners of Hosting Agreement holders can work in Irleland without any work permit
  • Application process is swift (excluding VISA application process)
  • After two years an individual can apply for Long term residency/ GNIB card Stamp 4 
  • No application fee involved.

Yes you can. A reconable time spent on the HAS along with time on a CSEP will be included  to calculate an employees time for a Stamp 4 Support Letter issued by DETE.

Generally DETE will  ask for a letter form the employer stating the date the employee started working. A  P60 for the last 2 years, three payslips from the previous four months are also required.

In terms of those who had previously worked on a HA, DETE will require the above along with a letter from the Research Organisation  stating the date that the researcher actually started working in the organisation.  P60’s will also be required for the time served on the HA.