The European Commission, the Council of Europe and UNESCO run a joint initiative called NARIC to help interested organisations and individuals easily find information on procedures for the recognition of foreign qualifications.
The following information provides details on:
- The recognition of qualifications from outside Ireland
- The recognition of Irish awards/qualifications abroad
The Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is a state agency responsible for the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) in Ireland.
This site offers the following advice and support on the academic recognition of foreign qualifications in Ireland:
- Foreign Qualifications Database – You can refer to this database if you hold a foreign qualification and wish to have it recognised in Ireland, or if you have been presented with a foreign qualification and wish to understand it in the context of the Irish qualifications system.
- Submit queries through the QHelp search function.
- Queries about a particular qualification if it is not included in the database, you can submit a query using the following Query Form.
- List of Regulated Professions – There are a number of regulated professions in Ireland. If you wish to practise in one of these professions, you must contact the relevant authority.
If you have an Irish award which you wish to get recognised abroad, please be aware of the following:
Each country has the responsibility to assess international awards within its own jurisdiction. The relevant authority in the country where you are interested in obtaining recognition will be able to give you advice on the procedures for recognition of your award.
ENIC/NARIC is a joint initiative of the European Commission, the Council of Europe and UNESCO to help interested organisations and individuals easily find information on current issues in international academic and professional mobility, and on procedures for the recognition of foreign qualifications.
- If you hold a third level award or a further education and training award, you should contact the ENIC-NARIC office in the country where you wish to have it recognised. The names and contact details of colleagues in many countries are available on this site.
- Europass is an initiative which aims to help you make your skills and qualifications clearly and easily understood in Europe and further afield
- The National Reference Point (NRP) for vocational qualifications in the appropriate country NRP are published on the Europass portal website
The Eurydice Network provides information on and analyses of European education systems and policies.
The National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) is run by Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), a key tool for understanding the Irish education and training system.