Hosting Agreement Scheme

Find out more about the key immigration arrangements for foreign academics and researchers carrying out research in Ireland, with a particular focus on the Hosting Agreements Fast Track immigration scheme.


Non EU/EEA nationals require permission to work and study in Ireland. Additionally, some non EU/EEA nationals require an entry visa (permission to travel and enter the state of Ireland) to enter the country.

However, researchers applying for research positions in accredited research organisations can use a fast-track scheme, known as the Hosting Agreement. This allows the host research organisation to employ the researcher without the need for a work permit.

Additionally, this scheme allows the researcher’s immediate family to reside in Ireland for the duration of the agreement. It also entitles their spouse and dependants to apply for a work permit.

All universities, Institutes of technology (IoT) and a number of research-active organisations are accredited for the Hosting Agreement scheme. You can find the full list of accredited research organisations here.

EURAXESS Ireland processes Hosting Agreements on behalf of the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation (DBEI). Over 3,000 researchers across all disciplines have used the scheme since its introduction in 2007.

For more detailed information on visas and immigration arrangements for researchers on Hosting Agreements, please visit INIS (Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service)

For queries contact:

Dr Magda Wislocka

Tel: 00-353-1-7996030


Check if the Hosting Agreement scheme applies to you and find out more about immigration alternatives for non EU/EEA visiting researchers or academics below:


I wish to Research in a University, Institute of Technology, or Other institution in Ireland

I am currently employing or plan to employ a researcher from a non EU/EEA country