I Wish to Research in a University, Institute of Technology, or Other Institution in Ireland


Everything you need to know about applying for the Hosting Agreement Scheme in Ireland.

  • You are a non EU/EEA national with the appropriate higher education qualification (e.g. a PhD or MSc) that entitles you to access doctoral programmes.
  • You hold a research contract of employment with an accredited research active organisation or university/IoT in Ireland for a minimum of 3 months.
  • Your salary is at least €23,181 per annum if you have no dependants in Ireland, or €30,000 if you have a spouse and/or children in Ireland.

  • Nationals of certain countries require an entry visa to Ireland in addition to a Hosting Agreement. You can check if you need a visa here.
  • Hosting Agreement holders need to apply for a long stay visa for Scientific Researchers. This requires applicants to complete an online application form and submit all relevant documents and letters to the Irish immigration authorities.
  • The online visa application form and further information about supporting documents is available here.

All incoming researchers arriving on Hosting Agreements must have their original Hosting Agreement issued before coming to Ireland whether they require a visa or not. Contact the HR department in your hosting institution for further information.

The Hosting Agreement allows researchers and their immediate families to move to Ireland and reside there together for the duration of the researcher’s contract. Dependants including de facto partners of Hosting Agreement holders are allowed to access the Irish job market without an Employment Permit. Before travelling to Ireland to join their De Facto partner on a Hosting Agreement, persons will need to apply for an approval letter from the Preclearance Section in Visa Division. Note that the preclearance scheme covers both non-visa required and visa required nationals.

Researchers arriving in Ireland under the Hosting Agreement scheme must bring an original copy of their Hosting Arrangement with them. The researcher is also required to register at their local immigration office/police station. Click here for more information about the entry process and registration.

After two years on a Hosting Agreement, researchers can apply for a Stamp 4 for a further two years, renewable after that point. This immigration status offers increased flexibility and makes it easier for researchers to move between sectors and employers without the need for any working permission or a new Hosting Agreement. Please click here for more information. 



Contact Magda@iua.ie or call +353 1 6764948 in the EURAXESS Ireland office if you have any queries.



Yes, providing you have an employment contract with your university or research-active organisation in Ireland. Contact the Hosting Agreement office of EURAXESS Ireland by emailing magda@iua.ie for more information.

Only  immediate family members – that is a spouse, natural children and children over whom the researcher has official guardianship as well as de facto partners - can be included under the scheme. The duration of their stay in Ireland is tight to the permission to remain of their spouse/partner on  a Hosting Agreement.

Please check INIS website for information on terms and conditions. Click here for more information.

Yes, the duration of your Hosting Agreement is linked to your employment contract. Please consult your HR department or manager for more information.

Yes, if  your spouse/de facto partner has currently a permission to reside in Ireland on Stamp 3 conditions and want to work in Ireland  -  needs to attend a local immigrtion office with you  (their de facto partner who is resident in Ireland on a Hosting Agreement). The local immigrtion officer will issue eligible person a  new Irish Residence Permit (IRP) on stamp 1G conditions. This will allow the spouse/de facto partner to work in Ireland without an Employment Permit. 

Yes, from April 2019 can access the Irish job market without an Employment Permit. 

Yes. from April 2019 can access the Irish job market without an Employment Permit. 


Yes, but your new institution must hold accreditation for the Hosting Agreement scheme.

No, you may only work at Hosting Agreement-accredited institutions. You can see the full list of accredited institutions here

Your employer will need to apply and be approved for Hosting Agreement-accreditation from DJEI in Ireland first. Please contact magda@iua.ie of EURAXESS for assistance.

You should contact your PI/HR to find out if you can have your employment contract/Hosting Agreement extended. You must make sure your immigration permission (stamp 1) is up to date. Please refer to the Researchers section of the INIS website for further details.

No, you will not be required to leave the country immediately. Please contact the GNIB office for further details. You may also contact Magda@iua.ie in EURAXESS Ireland if you wish to discuss your situation.

No, it is illegal to work under two different immigration permissions in Ireland at the same time.

Yes, but only if the job is directly linked to your research. Contact magda@iua.ie at EURAXESS Ireland for further information.

Yes, your dependants may be added and they can travel to Ireland with you or any time after you arrive in Ireland. Please contact your HR department and ensure your Hosting Agreement has been updated with details of all new dependants.

Yes, you will need to report to GNIB with your Hosting Agreement in order to change your immigration permission from stamp 2 to stamp 1. Please note that you can also access the Third Level Graduate scheme in Ireland, which allows you to work without a specific permission for one year. Full terms and conditions are available here.


If you plan to visit Ireland for academic/research-related purposes and do not qualify for the Hosting Agreement scheme then you will need to follow one of the below procedures:

  • If you are visiting Ireland for research or academic purposes for less than 14 days you do not need any work permissions. However, you may require a visa. Please check the INIS website to check whether or not you require a visa.
  • If you are participating in a private, funded or unfunded research, sabbatical, or academic visit with an Irish institution for a period between 15 days and 12 months and do not qualify for a work permit and Hosting Agreement, you may be eligible for the Atypical Working Scheme

For any additional information please visit the INIS website and/or the DBEI website